8/16/13

Blackberry Mango Crisp

In my post about wildberry sauce, I mentioned the blackberries I brought back from my wonderful trip to Oregon. My little brother and sweet husband picked them for me on the last day I spent in Oregon. I was sick in bed with the flu. It was not a fun way to spend the last day of vacation, but I'm really glad it didn't happen at the beginning of my trip! As soon as we got home, my sweet husband washed them up and froze them so they wouldn't go bad. He doesn't like blackberries, so they were safe from snitching until I was over my illness and ready to use them. I have been thinking about those blackberries a lot. I wanted to make something special, but I wasn't sure what.

My inspiration came earlier his week when I came across a fantastic deal on mangoes while grocery shopping. I love mangoes! I love blackberries! It seemed like fate! I came up with this delicious crisp that uses both of these fruits. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. I have more blackberries left, so I'll be making some other great treats with them in the future.
Fruit Filling:
2 large mangoes pealed and chopped (about 2 C worth)
2 C fresh or frozen blackberries
2 TB lemon juice
1 tsp cinnamon
2 TB brown sugar
3 tsp corn starch

Topping:
1 C oats (certified gluten free if needed)
1/2 C almond flour
1/3 C brown sugar (packed)
2 tsp cinnamon
pinch of salt
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/3 C water
1 TB extra virgin olive oil
Extra TB brown sugar

Gently mix together the filling ingredients until the fruit is evenly coated. Spread into the bottom of a 9X9 baking dish (I used two 5x8 dishes) and set aside.
Stir together the oats, almond flour, sugar, spices, and salt until well blended. Add the oil and water and mix until everything is well incorporated. Sprinkle the topping mixture into the baking dish over the top of the fruit. Sprinkle the extra tablespoon of brown sugar evenly over the top.
Bake for 25-35 minutes or until the fruit is bubbling up on the edges and the topping is just slightly browned.
Serve warm or chilled; it's great either way! Ice cream or whipped cream is a nice addition if you'd like, but it really doesn't need anything.
I loved how this turned out! The crisp topping was perfectly sweet with a hint of spicy clove. The mangoes cooked up so smoothly and the two fruits complimented each other well. The color was beautiful too! I love when my food is visually appealing as well as delicious!

Shared at these awesome blogs:

12 comments:

  1. Oh yum! I was thinking of doing a peach blackberry crisp or cobbler but mango sounds divine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peach blackberry sounds yummy too, but trust me, you'll definitely want to try out the mango version sometime! It is so good! If you try it, I'd love to hear about it.
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Blackberries! So yummy :) Thanks for sharing & I found you on a blog hop...your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rach! I'm glad you liked my post. Thanks so much for following me! Have a wonderful week!

      Delete
  3. Such an interesting idea! I love crisps but I've never ever tried baking mangoes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baked Mangoes are delicious! :) I hope you give it a try sometime. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. What an interesting combination! Love blackberries and crisp desserts - this sounds like a winner! I do appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much; I'm glad you liked it! Thanks also for hosting a great blog party!

      Delete
  5. Sounds like the perfect summer recipe! Thanks for sharing at Silver Pennies Sundays! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm looking forward to the next Silver Pennies Sunday! Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  6. Looks delicious! Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week!

    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick
    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting and for hosting a great blog party!

      Delete

I love hearing from my readers! Please remember to keep your comments uplifting and family friendly. Thanks and have a wonderful day!

Blogging tips