11/5/13

Apple Pecan Crumble

My little brother is great! I occasionally mention him in my blog because he is one of my trusted taste testers. As I've been experimenting with this new (to me) gluten free way of life, it's been nice to have his opinion on many of my trials. I can always count on him giving me an honest (but kind) review of my food.

Recently he broke his hand in two places and was stuck in a cast for three weeks, but he didn't let that keep him down! While in his cast, he brought over a whole bunch of apples that he had picked himself... one-handed. The following recipe is using some of those yummy apples! I might be posting a few other apple recipes in the future, not just because I have apples to use up, but because I love apples!
The Apple Layer:
2 C diced fresh apples
2 TB sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 TB molasses

The Crumble Layers:
1 C brown rice flour
3/4 C pecan meal (Easy to make in a food processor. Just grind up some pecans!)
1/3 C sugar
1/1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
2 TB olive oil
4 TB water
1/2 tsp vanilla

Stir the apple layer ingredients well until the apple pieces are evenly coated and set aside.
Mix all of the crumble layer ingredients together until well blended. It should have a crumbly texture to it, but if pressed together, it should clump. Evenly and gently press about half of the crumble mixture into the bottom of a greased (or parchment paper lined) 8x8 baking dish. Pour and spread the apple layer mixture on top of the crumble layer, then evenly spoon the remaining crumble mixture over the top of everything. Using a fork or other implement, evenly press the top layer of the crumble mixture so it is nice and even across the top. This will also allow the mixture to push down into the apple mixture and help hold things together once cooked. Bake at 350 for approximately 40 minutes or until lightly browned on the edges. Let cool before serving. Serve warm or cool with or without ice cream.
After making those delicious Maple Pecan Pancakes last week, I wanted something else with pecans and I decided apples and pecans should be friends. I was right, this turned out great and while my little brother hasn't test tasted this one yet, others have and the responses have been good. I do need to have my brother over soon though so he can enjoy some of this.

My husband liked his best warm, but I liked mine cooled. Either way it was delicious! It tends to be more crumbly when warm, and although I would recommend a fork, when served cool, these do hold up fairly well! I admit to just grabbing a slice by hand and munching it that way too, then licking the crumbs off my fingers. Such bad manners! Ha ha!

This post was featured here:
AllergyFreeWednesdayshttp://www.scratchmommy.com/mostly-homemade-mondays-linky-party-week-55/
Recipes and Ramblins with the Tumbleweed Contessa

Waste Not Want Not Wednesday at Poor and Gluten Free
Allergy Free Wednesday at Tessa the Domestic Diva
Gluten Free Wednesdays at The Gluten Free Homemaker
Lovely Ladies Linky at Life With the Crust Cut Off
Work It Wednesday at The Happy Housie
Home and Garden Thursday at A Delightsome Life
Treasure Hunt Thursday at From My Front Porch To Yours
Four Seasons Blog Hop at Easy Life Meal & Party Planning 
Gluten Free Fridays at Vegetarian Mamma
Home Sweet Home at The Charm Of Home
The HomeAcre Hop at Black Fox Homestead
BFF Open House at The Answer is Chocolate
Clever Chicks Blog Hop at The Chicken Chick
Sunday Linky at Suburbs Mama
Silver Pennies Sundays at Finding Silver Pennies
Creative Home & Garden Hop at Little Homestead On The Hill
Craftastic Monday at Sew Can Do
Monday Funday at Lines Across My Face
What'd You Do This Weekend at Tumbleweed Contessa
Gluten Free Recipe Linky at Musings of a Housewife
Mostly Homemade Mondays at Homegrown & Healthy
Manic Monday at Serendipity & Spice

19 comments:

  1. This looks great, and how tenacious is your brother!! I hope he wasn't climbing the trees one-handed to pick those apples ;) Thanks for sharing this on WNWNW, I've pinned it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!! I honestly don't know if he climbed any trees, but it really wouldn't surprise me. :) Thanks for hosting Waste Not Want Not Wednesday and for pinning this. I really appreciate it! Have a wonderful week!

      Delete
    2. I guess your brother was really craving apples!! And he obviously loves it when his sis cooks for him. Thank you for sharing this on our Four Seasons Blog Hop

      Delete
    3. Thanks Shawna! Nothing can get in the way of an apple craving! Haha! Yes, he does enjoy when I cook for him. He's also a pretty good cook himself! :)

      Delete
  2. Is there a substitute for the brown rice flour? I have access to amaranth flour, quinoa flour, plantain flour, bean flour, pea flour, and sourghum flour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Steph!
      I imagine you could do some substitutions without a problem. If it were me, I'd probably play around with the amaranth or quinoa flour and see how that worked. Maybe even a blend. I'd love to hear what you come up with and how it turned out for you!

      Delete
  3. This looks yummy! I appreciate you sharing the recipe! I do appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy! Hope you're having a wonderful week!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays party! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :)

    Hope your week is great!

    Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tweet and pin! I so appreciate it!
      I hope you have a wonderful week too!

      Delete
  5. This looks so yummy! Thanks for sharing at Silver Pennies Sundays! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. He picked apples one handed!? That is hilarious. And these look DELICIOUS. Thanks for linking up! I'm pinning and tweeting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he is very hilarious, which is why I mention him in my blog so often. He probably has no idea. Haha!
      Thanks for the pin and tweet! Have a wonderful week!

      Delete
  7. Holy moly...this sounds delish!!!

    Thanks for sharing at *Mostly* Homemade Mondays last week. I love this recipe so much I'll be featuring it at tomorrow's blog hop. Hope you'll stop by and share some more yumminess with us. Feel free to grab a badge while you are there, too.

    Jess
    www.scratchmommy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm thrilled that you enjoyed it! I'm heading over to Mostly Homemade Mondays soon to check it out and join the party!
      Have a wonderful week!

      Delete
  8. Looks awesome! I have a bunch of apples I have been waiting to use and this sounds like a great recipe to try out. My son eats gluten free and I can never get enough recipes! Just wanted to let you know I am featuring this tonight on What'd You Do This Weekend! Thanks for sharing, and have a great night!

    --Ashley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ashley! I hope you and your son enjoy it as much as I have! I'll be seeing you soon at What'd You Do This Weekend. Thanks for the feature!

      Delete
  9. You're welcome and thank YOU! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am making this for a family gathering tomorrow. I can't wait, it sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers! Please remember to keep your comments uplifting and family friendly. Thanks and have a wonderful day!

Blogging tips