10/28/13

Maple Pecan Pancakes

Pancakes are comfort food for me, and ever since going gluten free, I've had a difficult time finding a pancake to be excited about. Pecans are something to be excited about though and it was the pecans that inspired me to come up with this recipe. I've been stewing over it in my mind for a while now and finally decided it was time to try it out.
Maple Pecan Pancakes:
1/2 C chopped pecans
1/2 C oat flour
1/2 C brown rice flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp soda
1.2 tsp salt
3/4 C plain Greek yogurt
1 large egg
2 TB maple syrup
1 TB water
1/2 tsp maple flavor

Pulse the chopped pecans in a food processor until they take on a very course meal-like consistency, but before they become a paste. In a large bowl, mix the pecan meal with the oat and rice flours, baking powder, soda, and salt.

In a smaller bowl whip together the yogurt, egg, and syrup. add to the dry ingredients and blend well. Finally, stir the water and maple flavor into the batter. Cook using a frying pan, or griddle the way you normally cook pancakes. I found that cooking on a lower temperature than I was used to, really helped. Does anyone else have problems making pancakes? The first few pancakes I make always turn out badly and it's been this way my whole life! It doesn't matter what kind of pancakes either. If anyone knows a good tip, I'd love to hear it!

Serve these pancakes hot with more maple syrup on top. I also ate some with Wild Orange Honey Butter. It was amazingly scrumptious!
These pancakes are really good! They hold together well and have a nice fluffy texture. The flavor of the pecans is pronounced, and the maple compliments it perfectly! I ate a few warm, right out of the griddle and they were great that way too. I think these might hold up well to freezing and I plan to make some more to try that way. I like having quick snack that I can pop into the toaster and I think the texture of these pancakes will work for that. They aren't too crumbly like some gluten free pancakes are. Hooray for great pancakes!

This post was featured here:
Suburbsmamathehappierhomemaker.com
Gluten Freely Frugal

Shared at These great blogs:

18 comments:

  1. Yum! Little M here was just asking for pancakes this week. We love pancakes here too and I can't wait to try these!
    I don't really have a tip for the first few pancakes other than I use a non-stick skillet and make sure my pan is hot and ready before attempting to cook any pancakes. Most of the time that works for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, please do try them and then let me know how you like them! Thanks for the pancake cooking tips. The waiting might be my problem. I'm notoriously impatient when it comes to my food! Haha! My pan isn't non stick, but sticking doesn't seem to be the problem, so I think I'm good there. I'll try waiting. :)

      Delete
    2. I was anxious to make these and had only brown rice farina. I figured I could blend it into flour maybe, so I tried it out. I don't recommend it ;) It gave them a bit of a crunchy texture, haha! That aside, I LOVED the flavor and next time I won't improvise and will use actual flour!
      I admit I am really only good at cooking pancakes on non-stick or cast iron.

      Delete
    3. Oops! Haha! Well sometimes you never know until you try! :)

      Delete
  2. These look so good! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look absolutely delicious. I do love my pancakes smothered in syrup. Visiting you from Rock and Share.
    We would love to have you join our Four Seasons Blog Hop on Thursdays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Shawna! I agree about the syrup! Yum! I'll have to go check out your blog hop. Thanks for the invitation!

      Delete
  4. Yum! These look so good. :) I'd love to have you share them on The HomeAcre Harvest Hop!
    http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2013/10/the-homeacre-harvest-hop-2.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! See you at the HomeAcre Harvest Hop! :)

      Delete
  5. Mmmm... These sound wonderful! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks fabulous. Thanks for joining 4 seasons blog hop and hope to see you again. Pin in the Group's board

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and for hosting the 4 seasons blog hop!

      Delete
  7. Wow...these look DELISH! So fluffy and begging to get into my belly with some tasty maple syrup.

    Thank you for stopping by and sharing last week on *Mostly* Homemade Mondays. Hope to see you again tomorrow!

    Jess
    www.scratchmommy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jess! Thanks for hosting Mostly Homemade Mondays! :)

      Delete

I love hearing from my readers! Please remember to keep your comments uplifting and family friendly. Thanks and have a wonderful day!

Blogging tips