8/23/13

Banana Coconut Macaroons

Recently, I noticed that I had a couple of very ugly brown bananas. Now, for some people that might be a distressing realization, but not for me. An unsightly over-ripe banana is something I find inspiring! It's an excuse to bake something really delicious!

I though about making some banana bread, or some muffins (I'm practically obsessed with muffins!), but I've been thinking about coconut macaroons for a little while now and I was really in the mood for some kind of cookie. Coconuts and bananas are both tropical and delicious, so naturally they should go together!
Banana Coconut Macaroons:
1 medium very ripe banana
1/2 C sugar
1/4 C butter (room temperature)
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 C brown rice flour
3/4 C almond flour
1 C (be generous!) sweetened shredded coconut

Cream together the banana, sugar, butter and vanilla. In a separate container, stir together the flours and salt, then add to the banana mixture. Blend well. Stir in the shredded coconut until well incorporated. Chilling in the fridge for at least a half  hour is very helpful if your dough is too soft. Place spoonfuls of dough onto a greased cookie sheet, or use parchment paper. The cookies will not change shape with baking. Bake at 350 F for 12-15 minutes or until bottoms are well browned, tops are barely browned, but cookies are still soft. Let cool then eat.
I love how these turned out. Crisp at the edges, chewy and soft in the middle. They are very sweet, so if you don't like your cookies very sweet, you might consider using unsweetened coconut instead. I don't eat a lot of sugar, but every once in a while, I want something sweet and these are delicious! We've been practically fighting over them here. No one cares that they are gluten free! That's how good they are!
My brother stopped by the next day, and I pulled out a plate full of these macaroons... He was only here for a few minutes, but by the time he left the plate was empty! Not even a crumb was left! My husband admitted later that he had snitched three of them... My brother ate the rest! I'll take that as a compliment!
 Shared at these great blogs:

9 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the invitation! I'll head right over and check it out.
    Thanks for stopping by and I'm glad you enjoyed my post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look wonderful. Thanks for sharing at Silver Pennies Sundays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by; I'm glad you liked it! See you at the blog party! :)

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week!

    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick
    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome and thank you for featuring my macaroons on your blog hop this week!
      Have a wonderful week!

      Delete
  4. Looks absolutely delicious! I love coconut. Thanks so much for sharing at Tuesdays with a Twist!
    Come on over and link up your latest post.
    http://back2basichealth.blogspot.com/2013/09/tuesdays-with-twist-22-with-huge.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and for hosting Tuesdays with a Twist!
      Have a wonderful week!

      Delete

I love hearing from my readers! Please remember to keep your comments uplifting and family friendly. Thanks and have a wonderful day!

Blogging tips