10/17/13

Sweet Potato Pie Brownies

Combining different tasty food items is not always a success. Strawberries, eggs, dill pickles, and milk for example. Or maybe vanilla, green beans, pumpkin, almonds and onions. If those sound good to you, I apologize. To me they sound disgusting!
Here's another odd sounding combination: garbanzo beans, cream cheese, quinoa, dark chocolate, and sweet potatoes... This combination is different! They may not seem like they should go together, but they definitely do! Don't believe me? Try this recipe! You won't regret it!
Brownie Layer:
1 1/2 C dark chocolate chips (melted)
1 C garbanzo beans, cooked, drained, and cooled
1 C cooked quinoa (I used red quinoa)
2 large eggs
1/2 C sugar
1 TB olive oil
1/2 tsp baking powder

Sweet Potato Layer:
1/4 C sugar
1 C sweet potato puree
3 oz cream cheese (softened)
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground clove
1/4 tsp nutmeg

In a food processor, blend together: melted chocolate, garbanzo beans, quinoa, sugar, oil, and baking powder. Once they are blended well, add the eggs and blend some more until everything is smooth.

I do it in this order because I don't want egg to come into direct contact with freshly melted chocolate if it's still hot at all. Once the chocolate is blended in, the other ingredients will cool it down enough to avoid partially cooking the eggs. It might be just fine to blend everything at once, but I'm paranoid because I once had a roommate accidentally cook parts of the egg in her cookie dough when she poured hot melted butter in it. Those cookies were not very good. Anyway, on to the next step...
Also check out my tutorials on making grapevine wreaths and creating brown paper bag leaves.
Pour the brownie batter into a greased 9x9 or similar sized baking dish and smooth it out evenly. Next, mix together all of the ingredients for the sweet potato layer. Spoon the sweet potato layer evenly over the top of the brownie layer. Give it a few stirs if you want to create a marbled effect. Smooth out the top. Bake in the oven at 350 F for approximately 45-50 minutes. Eat warm or chilled. Store, covered in your fridge. I think I enjoy them chilled best and with a dollop of whipped cream, the same way I like my sweet potato pie!

These brownies are gluten free, packed with fiber, protein, and other great nutrients, but they don't taste healthy to me! They are rich and fudgy. So far the non-gluten free people I've fed these too have enjoyed them too. I always make them guess what's in them and they can never tell! I hope you enjoy them!


This post was featured!
Thank you My Simple Country Living & White Wolf Summit Farmgirl
The Little Homestead on the HillAllergyFreeWednesdays

Shared at these great blogs:
Gluten Free Fridays at Vegetarian Mama
From the Farm Blog Hop at Sunny Simple Life 
Farmgirl Friday at Deborah Jean's Dandelion House 
Sunday Linky @ Suburbs Mama 
Clever Chicks at The Chicken Chick
Silver Pennies Sundays at Finding Silver Pennies
Creative Home and Garden Hop at Little Homestead on the Hill
Craftastic Monday at Sew Can Do
Monday Funday at Lines Across My Face
What'd You Do This Weekend at Tumbleweed Contessa
The Backyard Farming Connection
Tuesday Link Party at A to Zebra Celebrations
Tuesdays With a Twist at Stone Cottage Adventures
Allergy Free Wednesday at Tessa The Domestic Diva
Gluten Free Wednesday at The Gluten Free Homemaker
Waste Not Want Not Wednesday at Poor and Gluten Free
Down Home Blog Hop at Tilly's Nest
Work it Wednesday at The Happy Housie
Lovely Ladies Linky at Life With The Crust Cut Off
Home & Garden Thursday at A Delightsome Life
Treasure Hunt Thursday at From My Front Porch To Yours
The HomeAcre Harvest Hop! 
Feature Friday at Blissful and Domestic 
BFF Open House at The Answer is Chocolate 
Frugal Friday at The Shabby Nest

28 comments:

  1. Dream come true - sweet potato and chocolate!! will give this a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing! When I make them I'll link recipe back to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome; I'm glad you liked it! I would love to have you link back! Enjoy the brownies! :)

      Delete
  3. These look good! It is a different mixture but I think I will try it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is different... but in a good way! :) Enjoy!

      Delete
  4. These sounds amazing! What are cooked garbanzo beans? Are canned ones okay to use and are those considered to be already "cooked?"
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! Canned beans are cooked, so you can use canned beans if you'd like. I prefer to cook my own beans at home for several reasons, one of which is, I think they have a better flavor and texture than canned beans. Sorry if my directions were a little unclear and I hope this helps. Enjoy!

      Delete
  5. OMG. Sounds delicious! Can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG... they sound great. I can't wait to try them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope you like them as much as I do!

      Delete
  7. Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays party! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :)

    Hope your week is great!

    Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Thanks Cindy; I really appreciate that! I just started following you on pinterest! :)
      Have a fantastic week!

      Delete
  8. Oh, wow. These look like perfection! Yum. Thanks for sharing at Silver Pennies Sundays! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks for sharing with us, featuring your recipe on AFW this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for featuring my brownies at Allergy Free Wednesday! Have a great week!

      Delete
  10. These look delicious! Thanks so much for sharing them on The Creative Home & Garden Hop! I featured your post this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for featuring me this week! Have a fantastic week!

      Delete
  11. Thanx for sharing at THT. Looks like a great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. these look great. I'm going to try them but with out the cream cheese. I'm thinking to add an egg to the sweet potato and then swirl in that layer. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'd love to hear how they turn out. Enjoy!

      Delete
  13. Wow, how creative - they look delicious! I am delighted that you shared with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Can you do the same recipe but use Pumpkin instead? Probably won't be as sweet since pumpkin isn't as sweet as sweet potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you could easily use pumpkin instead of sweet potato! Let me know how it turns out!

      Delete
  15. Yum, I think I have all these ingredients, even the red quinoa! I think I might make these for Monday night FHE :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers! Please remember to keep your comments uplifting and family friendly. Thanks and have a wonderful day!

Blogging tips