9/19/13

Twig & Acorn Wreath

I love this time of year! The season is changing once again and autumn is almost here! This morning is the first morning that has really had a chill to it! I could see my breath as I went out to do my morning chores. Now I'm wrapped in a cozy blanket enjoying a warm cup of cocoa. I love decorating for autumn because I can utilize so many natural elements that are already on hand. Two things that I happen to have in abundance are branches from a recent landscaping project and acorns. I decided I wanted to create a wreath for my front door with them and I made sure to document it so I could share it with you. I hope you enjoy it!
 
 First, an important note about using acorns for crafting:
Before you use acorns to decorate in your home, you must get rid of any outdoor pests, which are living in the acorns and which will invade your home and cause a yucky mess. The easiest way to do this is to heat them up. I started with green acorns picked right off the tree. I spread them on a cookie sheet and baked them at 350F for 20 minutes. Check them after 10 minutes and roll them around a bit, so they cook evenly. Let them cool and then you're done!
 How to make a Twig & Acorn Wreath:
1. Begin your wreath by cutting up a lot of nice straight, thin branches. I got mine from a lilac tree that we removed from our yard. Cut them into approximately two sizes one longer and one a little shorter. Don't worry about making the lengths exact; it will look nicer if there is a slight variation.

2. Next, cut a piece of sturdy cardboard into a circle about the size you want your wreath to be. You want this to be tough corrugated type, a cereal box is not going to be strong enough. I traced around two clay pots to help me get an even circular shape.

3. Beginning with the longer twigs, use a hot glue gun to secure them to the cardboard until it is evenly covered. 

4. Use the shorter twigs to fill in on top. Pay attention to any places where the cardboard shows and be sure to cover with a twig or two. It looks pretty fun with the just the twigs, but it's about to get even more fun! Time for the acorns!

5. Hot glue the acorns around the center of the wreath. This helps cover any view of the cardboard that might have been showing in the center and really makes this wreath stand out.

6. Once the glue has cooled and everything is set, use a soft under the finger nail type scrub brush to gently brush the wreath off. Brush in the direction of the twigs all the way around. This will get most of those stringy hot glue webs off.
I love how this turned out! I used a cute fall ribbon to hang it on my door and I think it looks great! I haven't had too many visitors since making this wreath, but those who've stopped by have almost always complimented it! It feels good to create! I especially like creating something awesome out of things that are just lying around. For another great wreath tutorial check out how to make grapevine wreaths HERE.

This post was featured on these great blogs:
The Chicken ChickPhotobucket
Recipes and Ramblins with the Tumbleweed Contessa
C.R.A.F.T.


Shared at these great blogs:
BFF Open House at The Answer is Chocolate
Home Sweet Home at The Charm of Home
Craftastic Monday at Sew Can Do
Monday Funday at Lines Across
Mostly Homemade Mondays at Homegrown and Healthy
What'd You Do This Weekend at Tumbleweed Contessa
Tuesday Garden Party at An Oregon Cottage
The Backyard Farming Connection
Link Party Tuesday at AtoZebra Celebrations
Tuesdays with a Twist at Stone Cottage Adventures
Rock N Share at The Shady Porch 
Down Home Blog Hop at Tilly's Nest
Home and Garden Thursday at A Delightsome Life
Treasure Hunt Thursday at From My Front Porch To Yours
Lovely Ladies Linky at Life with the Crust Cut Off
The HomeAcre Hop at Black Fox Homestead 
Feature Friday at Blissful and Domestic  
From the Farm at Sunny Simple Life
Farmgirl Friday at Deborah Jean's Dandelion House
Cottage Style Party at Lavender Garden Cottage 
Whatever Goes Wednesday at Someday Crafts
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage 
Frugal Friday at The Shabby Nest 
Masterpiece Monday at Boogieboard Cottage 
Made By You Monday at Skip To My Lou 
Work it Wednesday at The Happy Housie
Strut Your Stuff at Six Sisters' Stuff 

32 comments:

  1. Beautiful wreath, You are inspiring me. Thank you for sharing me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your wreath is quite lovely and rustic too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Deb! I'm so glad you liked my wreath!

      Delete
  4. Love the wreath it is natural and simple - very pretty. Stopping by from the Rock N Share Party.
    Easy Life Meal & Party Planning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Terri! Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad you enjoyed my post!

      Delete
  5. Your wreath is gorgeous! Love the natural, rustic look.Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Rustic and natural is exactly what I was going for! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. Such a pretty wreath! Thanks so much for sharing at Silver Pennies Sundays! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it! Featuring you this week (again!) on the Clever Chicks- you're so clever.

    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick
    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy! Thank you so much for featuring me again on the Clever Chicks blog hop! I'm so glad you liked my wreath. Have a wonderful week!

      Delete
  8. Thanks for sharing your excellent tutorial and creative wreath on The Creative Home & Garden! I picked your post as a feature!

    http://littlehomesteadonthehill.blogspot.com/2013/09/the-creative-home-garden-hop-11.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Thank's so much for featuring my wreath on The Creative Home & Garden. I'm so glad you enjoyed my tutorial! Have a wonderful week!

      Delete
  9. This is awesome! I made a twig wreath last year and put paper flowers on it, but I love this!! Pinning!
    Beth @ The First Year Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the pin, Beth! I'm glad you enjoyed my idea. I think your paper flower idea sounds wonderful as well! Have a fantastic week!

      Delete
  10. Oh, wow! I love it! This will be my feature for Tuesdays with a Twist! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How fun! I was just at your blog leaving you a comment about the pollinators you had photographed! :) Thank you so much for featuring my wreath on Tuesdays with a Twist! Have a wonderful week!

      Delete
  11. Gorgeous! Thanks for sharing with us at The HomeAcre Hop!

    Please join us again Thursday at:
    http://summersacres.blogspot.com/2013/10/the-homeacre-hop-39.html
    ~Ann

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, this is fantastic! Such detailed work! looks beautiful! I am delighted that you shared with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy! It was so fun to create! I'm glad you like it too. Have a wonderful week!

      Delete
  13. Love how sunburst-y it is! You've done a fabulous job here!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So simple and beautiful! Thanks for linking up at Whatever Goes Wednesday. We'll be featuring this over at Someday Crafts tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am honored to be featured at Someday Crafts! Thank you! I'm so happy you enjoyed my wreath!

      Delete
  15. Thank you so much for sharing your talents with us at The Farmgirl Friday Blog Hop last week. I have featured your natural beauty this week at Dandelion House! Please join us again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for featuring my wreath at Farmgirl Friday! Thanks also for hosting a great blog party (which I will definitely join again)! I hope you're having a great week!

      Delete
  16. What a cute idea! I love how it turned out. I'm hosting a pillow cover giveaway that you should enter. http://homecomingmn.blogspot.com/2013/10/pillow-covers-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can't wait to try this wreath. Acorns are in the oven as I type

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers! Please remember to keep your comments uplifting and family friendly. Thanks and have a wonderful day!

Blogging tips