6/7/13

Millet Almond Oat Cookies

Chocolate chip cookies are a necessity in my house! However when you have special dietary needs, it can be difficult to find a chocolate chip cookie that satisfies. Since going gluten free, I've tried a few different chocolate chip cookie recipes and not all of them worked. In fact, the first recipe I tried was so disappointing that I nearly cried! This recipe is one I will make again. It is sweet enough to be yummy, but is low in sugars. Plus, my little niece who can't have milk or eggs can also enjoy them! Replace the honey with agave syrup or another plant-based sweetener and this recipe is vegan!
Millet Almond Oat Cookies: (original recipe here)
Mix together the following ingredients in a bowl and let them sit for a minute or two so the flax meal can become squishy.
2 TB warm water
1 tsp flax meal
2 TB oil
4 TB honey

In a separate bowl mix together:
1/4 tsp ginger powder
pinch of salt
2 TB sugar
1/2 C ground oats (gluten free)
1/4 C millet flour
1/4 C almond flour

Combine the wet and dry ingredients, then stir in:
1/3 C chocolate chips (semi-sweet or dark)

Spoon into greased cookie sheet and smooth dough into flattened cookie shaped patties (cookies will not noticeably change shape). Bake at 350 degrees F. for 10-15 minutes. Cookies should be lightly browned on the bottom. Let cool before eating.
These cookies hold together really well, which can be a problem with some gluten free cookies. No problems here! They are great in lunches and I've taken them on hikes and they don't turn into crumbs!
I made a large batch earlier this week and froze them because sometimes during the summer I want a treat, but I don't want to turn on the oven. These cookies thaw out very nicely!

Note: I made my own oat and millet flour using a food processor which doesn't make a perfectly smooth flour (but is much less expensive!). I personally like the texture of these, however for a smoother cookie texture, you may want to use finer milled flours.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers! Please remember to keep your comments uplifting and family friendly. Thanks and have a wonderful day!

Blogging tips